sábado, 19 de outubro de 2019

TO NATURE / À NATUREZA, de Samuel Taylor Coleridge






It may indeed be phantasy, when I

Essay to draw from all created things

Deep, heartfelt, inward joy that closely clings;

And trace in leaves and flowers that round me lie

Lessons of love and earnest piety.

So let it be; and if the wild world rings

In mock of this belief, it brings

Nor fear, nor grief, nor vain perplexity.

So will I build my altar in the fields,

And the blue sky my fretted dome shall be,

And the sweet fragrance that the wild flower yields

Shall be the incense I will yield to thee,

Thee only God! and thou shalt not despise

Even me, the priest of this poor sacrifice.



Tradução de Ricardo Sobreira:


Talvez seria phantasia achar

Que eu posso ver em todo ser vivente

Um gozo imo, cordial e comovente;

E nestas folhas e flores traçar

Lições de amor e de franca piedade.

Que assim seja; e se o mundo maldizente

Ri desta crença, isso sinceramente

Não traz nem temor nem perplexidade.

Nos campos farei meu altar então,

E o teto será o azul celestial,

E da mais doce flor a exalação

Será um incenso a ti deste mortal;

E não desprezarás a mim, Senhor!

Que do sacrifício sou o pobre autor.



(Ilustração: Camille-Pissarro - The Pond at Montfoucault)

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário